Monday, January 09, 2006

Hiking Trip Dilemma


I have been invited by some very good friends to go on a backpacking trip in Georgia on a portion of the Appalachian Trail. Here are the pros & cons. First the cons:

1. I am totally out of shape & would be hiking 16 miles with a backpack & additional weight.
2. I would be camping, which means sleeping on the ground. I have been camping many a time,
and have never (not even once) gotten a good nights rest while sleeping on the ground.
3. That leads me back to #1. Extreme soreness + no sleep = a very cranky & not happy
camper. (literally)
4. What do I eat? Nuts & berries? I am a meat & potatoes guy. If I could bring my wife with
me to cook, that would be great, but out of the question. Not that I couldn't stand to miss a
meal or two, but I need energy if I am hiking 16 miles.
5. I will be out in the wild & I don't own a gun. What if I wonder off the trail for a potty break,
or I get left behind because I am slow & an out-of-shape rookie? While I am off the trail, I
am encountered by Bigfoot. He threatens to beat me to a pulp. What do I do? Throw
spitballs at him as my boy Zell Miller might suggest? Just a thought.

Now the pros:

1. I will get to spend time with my boys. Hanging with the guys for a weekend. That's
priceless. That is my only pro, but I think it is a good enough one to possibly outweigh all of
the cons.

So, I debate. What should I do? Suggestions would be welcome.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you're frustrated because you want to get your blog off an running, but let me tell you from personal experience that hiking with us is a blast. I am by NO means ready to run a marathon, and neither are most of the guys on the hikes. I had the same cons that you did, but the pros definitely outweigh them - everytime. Hanging out with everybody and sharing MJ's food is reason enough, but the views and the scenery put it over the top. If your schedule permits, you really should go.

Anonymous said...

In the words of Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller: "Do it!"

Anonymous said...

"The world is flat and I don't want to fall over the edge, so I'll just stay home where it's safe" -Christopher Columbus 1492

"The Moon? In a rocket? No way man, I'm staying here." -Neil Armstrong

"Who wants to sit in the front of a bus anyway?" -Rosa Parks

"apirgvuyaep rta qpoirhaprha aporaprarg aporaro apcrm!"
-Helen Keller

Anonymous said...

In the words of the Mick Pyle, Head Basketball Coach @ Cass High..."If my sister had a mustache she would be my brother."

Anonymous said...

There is a story involving Yogi Berra, the well-known catcher for the New York Yankees, and Hank Aaron, who at that time was the chief power hitter for the Milwaukee Braves. The teams were playng in the World Series, and as usual Yogi was keeping up his ceaseless chatter, intended to pep up his teammates on the one hand, and distract the Milwaukee batters on the other. As Aaron came to the plate, Yogi tried to distract him by saying, "Henry, you're holding the bat wrong. You're supposed to hold it so you can read the trademark." Aaron didn't say anything, but when the next pitch came he hit it into the left-field bleachers. After rounding the bases and tagging up at home plate, Aaron looked at Yogi Berra and said, "I didn't come up here to read."
Come on Fred, you'll enjoy it! - Brent

JS said...

As you know, I used to be WAY into backpacking... until I realized Id rather be sleeping in my bed.
Being in a tent rocks, building a fire is awesome, especially sitting by it till the coals burn out, talking to friends, no cell phone, no computer, etc...

However, 16 miles is alot in one day. I did 20 in one day once and it about killed me. 16 miles is alot if you havent been exercising, and nothing will prepare you for 60 pounds on your back while you hike.

I do like bathing in the streams, that is fun. Peeing outside is always fun for me, but crapping is never a joy.

I'd say go for it. You can rest in the grave. For now, do something you dont do often. You have a kid, and more on the way Id imagine, you wont have time for this much in the future.

I think I was invited, but turned them down...i have some equiptment if you need to barrow it.

Unknown said...

If the scenery (that doesn't look like it's spelled correctly) looks anything like that picture, I would go no matter what shape I was in. HOWEVER!!!!!! I was not invited. Apparently it's just cool people like izzy and hatcher that get to go. Just cuz a brother lives 200 miles away doesn't mean he don't like camping. Anonymous said it best.

JS said...

ravid... if you wont sell me your boat, how about just the motor? Assuming it works very well...